Sonu Nigam

The Ultimate, Unofficial Sonu Nigam site/ blog with news updates, rantings and droolings for the best singer of all time!

Monday, November 21, 2005

‘I’m richer than the biggest actors in Bollywood’



Karishma Upadhyay
Sunday, November 20, 2005 16:38 IST


Indipop singer and TV personality Sonu Nigam is quizzed about all things musical by aspiring singer and DNA reader Ruchika Tiku.

You have been a part of both ‘Sa Re Ga Ma’ and ‘Indian Idol’. How do you think you would have fared if you were to take part in any of today’s reality show talent hunts?

If you mean when I had just come into the industry, I would, in all modesty say that I would have won them both. I am very confident about my talent. Though I have to say that these talent hunts are not just about talent, you have to get one million Indians to love you and vote for you. That’s also a talent in its own way as you never really know what connects with them. On hindsight, I might not have won the ‘Indian Idol’ at that point as I was very raw, not stylish, and didn’t have that much confidence. The judges would have liked me but I am not so sure about the public.

You have maintained that the quality of singers discovered through these shows is very good. At the same time, you say that these shows aren’t just about talent?

These shows make stars out of ordinary people. What sets the winners apart is the fact that they have the complete package. That doesn’t necessarily mean that they are mind-blowing singers. They are just ‘Idol material’. If you look at the history of the music and the film industry in India, there have been and are a lot of so-called ‘stars’ who weren’t or aren’t great singers. So what’s the big deal?

Your personal life always seems to be making as much news as your professional life. Does that upset you?

Except for this one time last year when a city supplement quoted me saying that my marriage is over, it’s never affected me. The only reason I got upset was because I hadn’t said anything like that. I really don’t care what’s written about my personal life as far as journalists don’t try to put words into my mouth. People can speculate as much as they want to, only I know what is true.

The other non-musical aspect that takes up as much column space is your hair!

Really? I had no idea! Seriously, I love experimenting and if people want to keep track, then good for them. I have noticed that every time I wear something outrageous or stupid or do something to my hair, I am immediately written about. And any publicity is always good publicity.

The one question that every Sonu Nigam fan has always wanted to ask – why did you act in movies?

Everyone always told me that I could be a good actor, so I did some movies. The problem was that I did the wrong movies. I had no idea what to do, who to work with - that’s where I failed.

Will you do any more films?

I really doubt it. Between my stage shows, recordings and television commitments, I have no time. If I do take up something, it will have to be well worth my time because I’d have to stop everything else for 4 to 5 months. I don’t have to do movies for the money because I’m as if not richer than the biggest actors in Bollywood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Blogarama - The Blog Directory