Sonu Nigam

The Ultimate, Unofficial Sonu Nigam site/ blog with news updates, rantings and droolings for the best singer of all time!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Competing with Himesh is insult: Sonu Nigam

Sonu Nigam is about to change musical lanes. He tells Subhash K Jha about his plans.

Q: You've become quite a youth icon among singing aspirants.
A: I hadn't noticed this development until two to three years ago when Shaan told me that many of the songs that the contestants sang on Sa Re Ga Ma Pa were mine.

Now when I'm a judge on Indian Idol I do realize that the contestants tend to go to my difficult songs like Tera jadoo chal gaya, Zindagi maut na ban jaye and Satrangi re when they've a point to prove.

I've begun to realize that good work always reaches people's hearts. I don't think about how successful I am. I just do my work. As a singer I'm far away from the goal of perfection I've set for myself and maybe I'll never get there. But no harm in trying. In just 32 right now. And I hope to improve for at least ten more years.

Abhi mujhe bahut kuch sikhna hai …as a human and a singer. I don't want to make errors as either.

Q: Are you getting enough challenges as a singer?
A: I don't think the film industry is able to provide that many opportunities for me. I've to create my own challenges. This year I'll have some great songs in Karan Johar's Kabhi Alvidaa Na Kehna, Shirish Kunder's Jaan-e-Man, Kunal Kohli's Fanaah, Nikhil Advani's Salaam-e-Ishq, Rakesh Roshan's Krisshh, J.P. Dutta's Umrao Jaan and Farhan Akhtar's Don…I wish Umrao was a man so I could've sung all the songs.

Q: Have you sung Khai ke paan baneras wala in Don ?
A: I wish I had. As a child I used to dance to that song on stage. By the time I asked if I could do it, Shankar-Ehsan-Loy had already asked Udit Narayanji to do it. With his North Indian background he's the right person for it.

Q: You've quite an impressive list of films.
A: Yes. But that feeling of being challenged when I sing a classical song where I've to work on particular harkat or an alaap, is missing. Films won't provide me songs like that.

All tracks today are deejay-designed. I can't expect to get something like Man mohana bade jhoothe. And private albums are dead.

The furthest I could go with a non-film pop album was Chanda Ki Doli where I showed some classical creativity. I've therefore decided to come out with a semi-classical album. Might as well do something I believe in and something I'd be proud of forty years from now.

At least now people will stop complaining that I'm not doing anything raga-based. The music for my album will be Deepak Pandit. He's Jagjit Singh's immensely talented violinist.

Q: What do you feel about Himesh Reshammiya's sudden success as a singer?
A: It's easy to criticise someone for singing through his nose. Who sets the rules for how a song should be sung? Times are changing. Different voices are coming and being accepted. With Himesh at least a distinctive voice from within the country has found acceptance.

Otherwise we've lately had strange voices from outside, no matter how besura, becoming successful. Pataa nahin kyon ! Why do we give so much importance to voices from outside? Stars dine with them, feature in their bloody music videos. They wouldn't do the same for me or any Indian singer.

Q: What did you think of all the singers who have come from Pakistan?
A: A few were good. But most of them were strictly okay. In a country that has witnessed Lata Mangeshkar and Mohd Rafi who wants these voices? I'm glad to see an Indian—Himesh—getting the popular awards to someone from our country who's very smartly patented the style from another country (Pakistan).

Q: Are you happy with the state of film music in this country?
A: Although I had raga-based songs in Parineeta and Paheli the songs didn't get any recognition. I don't mind Himesh getting all the awards.

But it's an insult to nominate Paheli and Aashiq Banaya Aapne in the same genre for popular awards. Film music is expanding genres.

So I couldn't be competing with Himesh for the popular awards because we sang two different genres in Aashiq…. and Paheli. The songs from Zaher, Aashiq Banaya Aapne, Aksar belong to the same genre.

The genres have to be separated or our singers will stop doing riyaaz. They'll wonder why they need to work on their voices when they can get awards for simple songs.

Q: Do you think Aashiq banaya is easy to sing ?
A: Very easy.

Q: Mahesh Bhatt started the trend of bringing Pakistani music in Bollywood…
A: Everyone has the right to do their own thing. But if there's an infiltration we as artistes need to tighten our seat belts. Pakistan has a different flavour and colour of music. Now Himesh has given that style its own twist. Yeh to hona hi tha.

Q: Where do you intend to go as a playback singer?
A: I'm doing too many things at the same time. I love the feeling of being in demand everywhere. I'm not passionate about anything except music. I don't like to go out to restaurants or shopping. My work is my only high. I love going to judge Indian Idol. Then I come home catch a flight for a concert, and return to get to work on my classical album.

I'm blessed to have so much work. But I miss the glory of playback singing. I wish we had one good music company that could respect a good artiste. Nowadays it's more about putting up singers out of defiance rather than conviction.

Q: How're your relations with your old company T Series?
A: They're cordial with me. But it isn't the same as when Gulshan Kumarji was around. I did try to be a good friend. But dosti ki kadar nahin hai. If I had contributed the same to any other music company there would have been lot more appreciation.

I've gone out of my way to get them (T Series) out of critical situations, including political. …I'm looking at a credible company for my classical album. I'm doing this for my own happiness.

Q: Are you happy?
A: I've learnt to look for happiness within myself. People around me have changed. I've converted them into positive people. I don't allow anyone negative in my space. I'm surrounded by people who have love in their eyes.

Q: Would you call yourself happily married?
A: Well I am married. One can be happily married. Marriage is a very small part of life. And I'm saying that in front of my wife. There's a lot more to life.






**a nice overall update on what sonu's been doing. oh man i really cant wait for his semi-classical album to release. Goodluck sonu!!


And I loved what he said about Himesh. Honestly I have been quite pissed at him bagging all the awards when sonu is equally, if not more deserving iof them. but sonu's diplomatic way of looking at the issue as india's acceptance of a new distinct indian voice is logical and has won my heart. i guess himesh doesn't suck then. haha.

16 Comments:

  • At 12:52 AM, August 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sonu Nigam, is an exceptional singer, But he seems to be having a negative perspective of things. Having succeeded as a singer, he wants to try his hands everywhere. Why does he feel so insecure. He is a true diamond and doesn’t need to prove himself, but the sad part is he is still uses other shoulders when he is quite capable of carrying the entire wght on his own. From the time he received his first Filmfare award - wherein he expressed his frustration at not being awarded a Filmfare award till date and till last year when he criticized Himesh’s achievement on winning the best Male playback, he has lost a lot of his admirers as a person. He might be a fantastic singer - provided one just hears his songs and not his comments.. Sonu doesn’t need a Shah Rukh or Jaya Bachhan to promote his show which he is doing n the US. The name itself will pull one and all. So Sonu Pls grow up and be confident, but I find you so confused that here you are trying to be too over confident.Pls do not forget that its the masses which makes a star. These same people have brought you where you are, of course yr hard work and sincerity pays off too. So if competing with Himesh is an insult, u r insulting the people's choice. I would have been happier being the people's choice than winning a Filmfare award.
    GROW UP man.

     
  • At 9:55 AM, September 10, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sonu, I just can't say how much I like you and had posted my feedback on RadioCity as well. I had seen you in Atlanta Concert and just got so much mesmerized. My friend asked me to take a picture so from $30 ticket row I walked towards the stage and the first glance where I could actually see you from a vry short distance, I was so mesmerized and was just staring at you. I dont know what I clicked. But I cried a lot that I dint get a chance to even say hi to you. I am trained in South Indian Classical Music and have given many concerts both back home and in teh US as well. I am waiting for your semi classical music album. I feel so proud of you that this generation has some very soulful singers. The vibrato you did in (Haseena Man Jayegi) is just mindblowing. You are tooo good. My ambition in life is to earn enough to be able to organize your show and spend one whole day with you. I am still 26 so let us see how this goes. With lots of love, Pallavi.

     
  • At 4:53 AM, September 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Khushboo & Pallavi, I feel like I have found new friends!! I share the same feelings about Sonu as the two of you do! I always wanted to be a singer and did learn Classical music for a year, but couldn't continue due to some issues. This was when his first hit song "Achha sila diya tune mere pyaar ka" was playing on the radio. I knew him then, and liked him a lot too, but I got hooked to him when I heard the song "Abhi saans lene ki fursat nahin hai" from the movie Jeet. I think it came out in 1996. His voice has so much depth.. something about it just makes my heard melt and I am filled with emotion!! I cry when he sings a sad song.. and I rock to his voice in a peppy number! He is the best!!!
    However, in all fairness, I do agree with the other person's comments that he needs to stop being so negative. My husband and brother often tease me by bashing Sonu (only jokingly.. they like him a lot too) by telling me about the comments he makes, etc. etc. I don't get angry.. I love him too much for that.. but I feel bad for him.. I feel bad that people think like that about him, and they're not entirely in the wrong! He is growing up as a person.. and I hope he realizes that it doesn't matter what awards he gets or for which song he gets them! I hope he knows that his good work doesn't go unnoticed!! There are tons of people like us who love him regardless of the awards or titles!! He is my favouritest artist ever!!
    Good luck to you Pallavi in fulfilling your dream! I wish I can meet him too (I have twice, but only for a few moments, and not long enough to be remembered). Do let me know when you organize that show!!
    Cheers to Sonu!!
    Hina.

     
  • At 12:24 PM, September 16, 2006, Blogger Khushboo said…

    yes hina i completely agree. i'll love him whether or not e wins any awards because to me, and other fans like you and pallavi, he is completely deserving of them.

    also i wish he hadn't decided to cut down on his songs; because although i understand his desire to sing only the most exclusive songs, i wish he'd realise how much we fans would miss his voice being at the top of the charts and always there...

    we love you sonu!

     
  • At 1:31 AM, October 04, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i love him, he is an amazing singer, but he needs to brush up on his attitude. why does he have to say feature them in their "bloody" music videos? you're an amazing singer, don't be threatened!!

     
  • At 3:26 AM, November 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    he is a good singer, but he has too much f***in pride... like F*** you man ok u can sing but dont get cocky. why does h have to hate and critisize other good singers if they are gettin succes..he can also be very jealous at times..dude just relaxx...

     
  • At 9:28 AM, November 09, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey khushboo, is that his wife in the pic?

     
  • At 9:52 AM, November 09, 2007, Blogger Khushboo said…

    yupp that's his wife madhurima! and they recently had a baby boy neevaan... :)

     
  • At 6:59 PM, April 14, 2008, Blogger Kareena said…

    Sonu Nigam - that’s the name of my crush. I have followed each and every single, album, film song which he has sung. Right from Saregama days till date I have just loved each and every bit of it. I was a small girl when I first saw him on TV an since then I have been smitten by him.

    I know he has proved himself in the playback singing genre and he did try his charm on the big screen but it dint work out. I did see his movie and was disappointed by the content of the film but he was there so it made the movie special.

    His latest caper is Classically Mild a album which is way different than the singing he normally does. I hear these songs and I was blown away. I know I might sound biased but I think you should check it out for yourselves. http://www.saregama.com/Music/AlbumDetails.aspx?CId=154189&MId=1

     
  • At 6:59 PM, April 14, 2008, Blogger Kareena said…

    Sonu Nigam - that’s the name of my crush. I have followed each and every single, album, film song which he has sung. Right from Saregama days till date I have just loved each and every bit of it. I was a small girl when I first saw him on TV an since then I have been smitten by him.

    I know he has proved himself in the playback singing genre and he did try his charm on the big screen but it dint work out. I did see his movie and was disappointed by the content of the film but he was there so it made the movie special.

    His latest caper is Classically Mild a album which is way different than the singing he normally does. I hear these songs and I was blown away. I know I might sound biased but I think you should check it out for yourselves. http://www.saregama.com/Music/AlbumDetails.aspx?CId=154189&MId=1

     
  • At 11:06 PM, January 16, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey sonu ji........u r just wow.........ma 1st crush....a gud singer wid amazing voice n cool personality...........i luv u a lot...

     
  • At 2:58 AM, March 21, 2010, Blogger Unknown said…

    Dear Sonu,

    I am resident Nigerian,Indian by birth.I saw you at a marriage party of my friends daughter at Udaypur last year.You have achieved an iconic status and as at today there is no one to destablize you. I can only give one piece of advice is that keep watching that success does not go to your head and work relentlessly for down troden.

    God bless you.
    Y.R.Pinge

     
  • At 3:06 PM, April 28, 2010, Blogger VIKASH GROVER said…

    SONU NIGAM IS A BIG COWARD THTS WHY HE IS NOT COMPETING WITH HIMESH
    SONU IS A COWARD SONU IS A COWARD NA NA NA NA NA SONU IS A COWARD HA HA HA HA

     
  • At 3:15 PM, April 28, 2010, Blogger VIKASH GROVER said…

    Why u feel insult in competing with himesh
    Let me tell u , u didnt feel insult u r jealous of himesh because he has won the best male play back singer by throughing u N he has also won the "sabse fav chamkta sitara "for his AAP KA SURROORmovie which u have not
    U r only a singer but he is a complete package for bollywood
    Dont feel jealous be proud that he is in the bollywood

     
  • At 3:21 PM, April 28, 2010, Blogger VIKASH GROVER said…

    When u r singing for his composition at that time himeshji was good n when he had stared singing and become a true rock star u r jealous why?
    I know himesh cant sing like u but i bet u that u also cant sing like himesh only singing nasaly is not himesh .So grow up n appreciate every one ,"nahi to ek din aisi chot khaoge na koi malam lagane ko bhi nahi hoga"

     
  • At 4:52 AM, December 11, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    sonu nigam
    i love your voice you are the best and you have high feeling no one like YOU so don't competing wtih any one becuz you are THE BEST AND ABOVE ALL

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Blogarama - The Blog Directory